gone too soon

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same.
— Franz Schubert


Nothing can prepare you for the news that a good friend has passed away. Sadly, this is the news I received Sunday morning. My friend Mike was such a delightfully weird, funny, caring, talented guy. The world will certainly be a bit duller without him in it. I will love him and hold him in my heart.

Mike and I met the summer of 2007 while working at Shanghai Bistro in Eau Claire, WI. I had been brought on in preparation for a new location opening in Woodbury, under the name Giapponese (a Japanese/Italian fusion concept). He was also moving to the Cities for the new restaurant. We clicked almost immediately. We had a similar sense of humor, and we bonded over the fact we were bumming on people's couches until the restaurant in Woodbury opened. We pretty much became inseparable for those few months.

Some of the Shanghai crew

We only dated a few months, but I had never felt so loved and cared for by someone. Even after we broke up, that never wavered. He always put up with my stupid, early-20's-girl-crap, and was understanding beyond belief.

One can only imagine I had quite a few drinks this night, because how uncomfortable does this look?? Gosh it makes me laugh though.

We remained close until I took a job outside of Giapponese about 4 1/2 years ago. It became a little more difficult to match schedules and meet up, but we did what we could. When he was in Minneapolis for a Twins game, we met up. When I was near Hudson, I would stop by Shanghai to say hello and catch up. About a year and a half ago, he surprised me when I was in West End in St. Louis Park. I believe that may have been the last time I saw him, and as sad as that is, I'm glad that I at least told him I how happy I was to see him, and that I loved him.


Haha. Sorry Cathy, but this picture is just too funny not to share. If you can't tell, he's the one giving the enthusiastic two thumbs up.


About a year or so ago, Mike moved to Duluth to be closer to family, and to get the best care he could for his health. This made it especially hard to keep up with each other, but as recently as the beginning of March 2015, he discussed having a "reunion". Just last week he offered to be my concert buddy for a show in June. Sadly, just a few days later, he was gone. I'll always be sad I didn't get that chance to see him at least one more time, experience his hug/head kiss combo, and infectious laugh, and tell him I loved him.

I'm definitely going through the denial phase of grief, thinking it's ridiculous I'll never see him again. How can that be?? In the same regard, I want to believe he is at peace now. No matter what, he will always be with me, and I will always miss and love him.

He was truly one of a kind, and I don't think I could ever forget him. He was a huge part of my life for almost 8 years, and he was the sweetest person I've ever known. I recognize how truly blessed I am to have had him in my life. I will try to focus on all of the happy times through this grieving process, rather than the anger I feel at him being gone way too soon.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and other friends. My hope is we can all laugh through the tears at his memorial service, and remember what a phenomenal person he was.

Rest in peace Mike. You will always be in my heart, and I will miss you until the day we meet again.

I will leave you all with a song Mike "dedicated" to me, and will always remind me of him. Oh that cheeseball. He sure did know the best ways to get a girl to smile, and fall in love just a little bit. :)

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Your blog really makes an impression on me. You provided some insightful points.
    led tv repairing course

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for the best place for ac pcb training in Delhi Visit our ABCMIT institute and take free demo class. Every small part about the repairing of AC is taught in this course. We are at Nirman Vihar Gurunanak pura Laxmi nagar Delhi, directly across from the V3S mall. Our phone number is 9540438438 for more details visit our website:

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're interested in AC repairing course
    in Delhi Attend a free trial lesson at our DIGI MANTHAN institute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABCMIT Institute provides the best AC Repairing Course training in Delhi. The fact that the students are actually learning is undeniable. Please visit our website or call us at 9540438438 for additional details.

    ReplyDelete