new year, new me

Monday, January 02, 2012

Just like that, 2011 is gone. I had a fun year with great people, but I know I could have done more to create opportunities and experiences for myself. I was complacent and downright lazy. I am entering the New Year energized, hopeful, and motivated to make things happen. It took me until January 2nd to fully decide what my resolutions would be, but here they are in all their glory:

Focus more on myself:While I know this sounds selfish, I feel like it is necessary. I wasted too much time in 2011 complaining about how things were, and I didn’t bother to change them. In 2012, I will take the time to focus on what it is I want out of life. I will work on my emotional, mental, and physical health. If I feel like I’m out of shape, I will exercise more. If I want to pursue a higher education, I will look into graduate school. If I feel stressed or overwhelmed, I will take time out to calm down and refresh. If I want to find love, I need to first love myself completely. I’m getting close, but this will be the year to really do it. :)

Worry less: This goes hand in hand with my first resolution. Anyone who knows me knows this is going to be a tough one to follow through on. I have this inherent, annoying habit of worrying WAY too much about almost everything. I think it largely stems from the fact I am a control freak, and hate when things are out of my control. I picked up this trait in college, and it magnified when I moved to the Cities solo. I think I mistook a need for control for independence; they are not synonymous. Friends and family members who have learned to accept things they can’t control seem to be much happier in life. This is what I want for myself, and I will work hard to achieve that. (Ashley, you’ve helped me take baby steps towards this goal in 2011. For that, I am thankful. Looking forward to what lessons I can learn from you in 2012!)

Help others more: I can see how this may contradict my first resolution, but it actually assists it quite well. I get a lot of joy out of helping others. Through my job with Jumpstart in college, I was able to help at local food pantries, a battered women’s shelter, and participated on National Youth Service Day. I also spent a year with Big Brothers Big Sisters. These experiences showed me how blessed I was/am, and how the help of one person can in turn bless other s. I’m currently volunteering with the Make-A-Wish foundation and the Feline Rescue shelter in St. Paul. I’m also looking forward to volunteering with the Ronald McDonald House Charities this year. If I can find the time, I’d love to help even more organizations. I’m passionate about volunteering, and I hope I can convince others to help too!

My mini resolutions: I will try to stop complaining so much. I will change those things I don’t like. I will be more compassionate, honest, and selfless. I will read more books, watch less tv, volunteer more, and create new experiences more often. I will pay down at least 50% of my debt, while also stressing less about finances. I will more consistently tell people I love them, and be there for them in times of need.

I know 2012 has a lot in store for me, and I can’t wait to see what will happen! Here’s to a great new year!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments