inspiration

do gooder

Saturday, August 25, 2012

While I feel I'm a very opinionated person, I generally try to stay away from preaching on my soapbox. However, if there's one thing I'm passionate about and want to spread the word on, it's volunteering for good causes.

Trust me. I know how easy it is to say you don't have time in your schedule, and you have other important things to tend to. Hell, even if they're not that important, I get how your own life activities may take precedence over volunteering. I'm guilty of it too. Waking up Saturday mornings to volunteer at Feline Rescue is a challenge most weekends. But once I'm there, knowing my seemingly measly 2 hour shift can help make a difference, I'm happy I woke up and went.

There are so many organizations and good causes out there that need help. Even if you can only spare 1 hour a month, it can do a lot of good. I deeply encourage everyone to take a look at



This site directed me to Feline Rescue, and also opened my eyes to the many volunteer opportunities around the Twin Cities. You can enter in your location and keywords to find organizations. It can be for animals, the environment, food pantries, battered women's shelters, etc. You name it, you can find it.

You don't have to stop there. If there are causes you know you'd love to help with, reach out to someone in that organization. I went to the Make A Wish website on my own, and am now a wish granter. While I haven't turned in my application for the Ronald McDonald House Charities yet (procrastination at its finest), I do simple things like collect pop tabs. (It's real folks. As someone who has stayed at one of their houses before, I can tell you it is an amazing charity. I could slap every person who laughs at me and says it's not "real".)

Random tangent aside, please see if you can fit a little volunteer work in your schedule. You'll be surprised how great it feels to help out. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments