lessons in love

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Rather than post a Valentine's Day declaration, like last year, I decided to do something a little different. I was reading the newest issue of Real Simple, and the Your Words section asked the question:

What do you know about love that you wish you had known earlier?

I thought there were some really good reader responses, so I wanted to share them with everyone on this day of love. Enjoy the one you're with. If you're single like I am, don't forget the love you have from friends and family!

Happy Valentine's Day!

"My short, unpleasant first marriage taught me that there's no need to rush things. My ex husband and I knew each other for just seven months before we tied the knot. If we had waited longer, I doubt we would have said, "I do". Fortunately I'm now with someone who is patient. We dated for 2 1/2 years before getting engaged, and we're waiting another 2 1/2 years before walking down the aisle." -Amanda C.

"In my early 20s, I spent night after night questioning whether the person I was dating truly cared for me. But after I met my future husband, I learned that when someone loves you, you never wonder if he does. You just know." -Christy Huntingon

"If I could go back in time, i would tell my younger self that love is not going to come in the package that you're expecting. For ages I was set on finding a tall, handsome man who liked to salsa dance and to listen to Spanish music. But as soon as I let go of these shallow desires, I met a man who makes me feel safe, puts me first, and often surprises me with romantic gestures. He doesn't speak a word of Spanish, and prefers country music, but I couldn't love him more." -Lisa Thomspon

"in my last relationship, I went wherever my boyfriend wanted to go and would often change my plans to be with him. It was only when things fell apart that I saw how foolish I had been and that it's simply not healthy to let the person you're with become your entire world. No matter how in love you are, don't forget your friends or your hobbies and passions. You need to feel ok being on your own." -Michelle Edward

You Might Also Like

0 comments