a valetine's observation

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It's funny how much can change in a year. Last year, I was out celebrating Valentine's Day with someone I was in love with. This year, I am single and sans the flowers, heartfelt cards, and fancy dinners. If it weren't for Ashley inviting me for drinks and BARGO after work, I would have spent the whole night without human interaction. (I would have had Tux to keep me company though. He can't talk back, so he's easily the best male companion to have around. :)) P.S. Thank you Ashley!!

I'll admit that I'm usually the bitter single spinster on Valentine's Day. I think I can only recall having a date on Valentine's Day three times in recent memory. One technically wasn't even a date-just a single boy and a single girl seeing Final Destination 3 in the theaters. Very romantic, I assure you. I still can't decide whether this fact is a sad reality, or a blessing. Either way, I am vowing not to be bitter this year, no matter how many girls I see with flowers, couples holding hands, or inevitable clichéd engagements I see posted on Facebook tonight. The real Valentine's observation is this: single ladies shouldn't fret about not having someone on Valentine's Day. If we find ourselves alone, we should use this day to remind ourselves how much love we do have in our lives. I am surrounded by the most amazing family and friends, who love me unconditionally and support me no matter what. Whether I'm being a whiny brat or a heinous bitch, these people have my back. I should never EVER complain about not having love on Valentines day, because I have loads of it! Additionally, I have so much love to give, and that isn't going to go to waste because I don't have a boyfriend. I love my family and friends right back. I love my cat. I put love into the organizations I volunteer for. I love my nieces and nephews (even if I only have one real nephew-the others are Kelsey and Kristie's kids.)

Time and time again, friends have given me one of these lines: "When you least expect love, you'll find it", "Everything happens for a reason", or "When you stop looking for love, it will find you" (basically the same sentiment as the first line.) As easy as it is to get discouraged being *ahem* 27 and single, I still have a lot of hope. Kelsey has proved these lines actually mean something. She has a beautiful family that she probably never saw coming. Each day that passes, I just try to remind myself that I haven't found "him" yet, the one that will make all the painful, embarrassing, awful dating moments worth it. That everything I learned from past relationships was meant to be used to make it last with him. Heartbreak can siderail a person for a while, but I'll always be an optimist. It keeps me from being a big time debbie downer. Ha.

So to all those in relationships, and all those who are single, I want to wish you a very Happy Valentine's Day! May you all be surrounded with love, no matter where it comes from! :)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Great post, and hard to believe such a sweet girl isn't fighting them off with bug spray..
    Jeff & Jo

    ReplyDelete