featured

for the love of diy

Thursday, May 01, 2014

I've been on a DIY kick lately, grabbing whatever lonely piece of furniture I can find to rehab and breathe new life into. It may be because of my love for HGTV shows, but I am starting to see the potential in items I normally wouldn't. (It's probably also because of this fabulous blog I follow: LiveLoveDIY.

It all started with my friend Shannon's dresser. She sold it to me for a really good price, but it was clearly a bit dated. I decided to throw some classic black paint on there and change out the hardware. It made such a difference for so little money; I was hooked!



I decided my next project would be a bar cart for my apartment. I went to Goodwill one day and found an old but sturdy microwave cart. Despite the years of caked-on spider webs, I could see the potential in it, so I bought it. At $7, it was a steal! I used the same black paint as the dresser (there was more than half a gallon left, why not?), grey and white chevron-printed shelf liner, and some silver spray paint for the wheels.

I had a gorgeous white and silver tray that my mom got me from Pier 1 that worked perfectly for the top of the cart. I bought a hanging stemware rack, and found a 4 bottle wine rack for $2 at Goodwill. With that, my car was complete! I added some finishing touches, like a mason jar full of adorable paper straws. (I just don't know why, but I think they're so cute!) I'd like to get some bar art for the wall behind the cart, as well as more variety in the liquor. After that, we're good to have a party! :)

0 comments