gunn's golden rules

Thursday, November 17, 2011


Anyone who knows me knows that I love Project Runway and Tim Gunn. I recently read his book, Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work, and I think he made a lot of eloquent, often cheeky and funny points. Naturally, I had to share them in hopes that everyone will enjoy them as much as I did.

(One of my faves) "I also like having at least one person around who is widely disliked among your crowd of lovely people. You never know who's going to get along with whom, but you do know people need someone to gossip about later, and you don't want it to be you."

"When we look good, we feel better. That's true for everyone. You feel better able to tackle the world. It's not a good feeling leaving the house without having dressed to be around people. Just the way it never rains when you have an umbrella, you'll never run into people if you look fantastic. But go outside in pajamas, and you'll run into every ex you have."

"You can ask someone out by e-mail, but you can't break up with her." (Someone should have told my ex this; Facebook is even worse!)

"Context is everything-for clothes, for behavior, and for expectations. Truth telling is good, but you also have to accept the conditions as they are."

"When you're thinking of volunteering advice, you also need to ask yourself this question: Will revealing my feelings on this subject actually help?"

"That struggle to find out who you are is so hard. You have to keep eliminating things that you aren't and then see what's left over. Most important, you should never pretend. There's nothing harder than living life as someone you're not, even if being what you are is very hard."

"I think it's best never to lie, because when you tell lies, you have to remember them. It makes life really complicated."

You Might Also Like

0 comments