pet peeves

pet peeves

Thursday, November 10, 2011

As I'm sure everyone does, I have plenty of pet peeves that plague me on any given day (alliteration aside). While I will admit that some of these pet peeves arise from my own OCD, and may not bother others, some are pretty universal. Some people may not realize that they're guilty of these tiny annoyances, while others are blantantly obvious. Some people can just be rude, selfish, and just completely clueless. This is by no means an exhaustive list; it is merely the beginning. I will add more as I come across them and am reminded how much I hate them.

People who don't clear the microwave, especially in communal areas. This is admittedly one of my OCDs, and it may not bother everyone. But seriously, when I walk into the kitchen and see it flashing "Start" I have to clear it.

When someone asks the question "Do you understand what I'm saying?" I'm not a 5 year old. I understand you to the best of my ability, based off the incoherent jibberish you just told me. (Very prevalent with the people I get calls from at work.)

People who can't be bothered to use a blinker. Americans are lazy. I get it. I can maybe give leeway when the highways or city streets are fairly empty. Maybe. For the assholes who weave in and out of busy lanes on the highway, without so much as a single signal? I wish I could pull them to the side of the road and punch them in the throat. Not only is it a common courtesy to let other drivers know when you're turning/switching lanes, but it can probably prevent a lot of accidents. They would also prevent me from experiencing so much road rage.

People who talk loudly on their phones on public transportation. I ride the bus every day to and from work. While I occasionally have a conversation with my sister, I try to keep it quiet and brief. The other day, a man was shouting on his phone while speaking in a different language. Hey, more power to you if you're bilingual. Just know that this just increases the awkwardness for everyone else who has to unwillingly listen to your call. By far the biggest culprit of them all? Ditzy, 20-something girls. The ones who talk about boys, parties, and clothes while throwing in a lot of "likes" into the mix. Irritating to listen to.

People who complain they're fat, but don't do anything about it and/or make me feel bad that I am doing something about it. Case in point: my roommate. She logs a lot of couch time. I get it-she's on her feet 8-10 hours a day working retail. But if that's the case, don't complain to me how "fat" you are and how you wish you could lose weight. Don't make snarky comments because I go work out either. An example-she saw me in the fitness center in our complex when she came home from work. When I got back up to our apartment, she said "I saw you walking on the treadmill. That's ok. Walking is better than nothing." Uh, what? First, if it's better than nothing, why aren't you doing it? Second, what you didn't see is the half hour I already spent on the elliptical. Stop complaining and do something!


As I'm sure eyes have already glazed over while reading my ramblings, I'll stop for now. Expect another post soon about more pet peeves, as they are ever present.

You Might Also Like

0 comments