10 years already??

Monday, February 27, 2012

Woah woah woah Miss Lippy! It's been how long since I've posted? Sorry to deprive all my faithful readers of the random noise that goes on in my head! I'm back, and will hopefully crank a few good posts out before my mini vacay in Mexico. (Woot woot! That'll be a whole other post though-don't you worry. :) )

I'm flabbergausted by the fact that my 10 year high school reunion will take place this year. Has it really been 10 years already?? 10 years since I was the awkward blonde, braces-wearing, bushy-eyebrowed outsider on dance team? While I made a lot of memories with some great friends, I don't know that high school is a time I'd want to visit again. Let's be honest: aren't we all a little awkward in that 14-18 age group? I probably would have sold my soul just to be in the popular clique, be noticed by all the cute guys, own nice clothes and go on fancy vacations. But I'm happy to say that 10 years later, I'm the most comfortable and confident I've ever been. I stand strong to my beliefs and values, make no apologies for who I am, and no longer waste my life trying to please others. It's a great feeling! If there's truth to the saying, I'll probably feel unstoppable when I'm 30! (Let's not jump the gun on that one though. 30-eek!)

While it has yet to be determined whether I will attend the reunion, I wanted to take a look back at 10 of the biggest songs, news stories, movies, etc. from the golden years of 1999-2002. Can anyone think of anything else I'm missing?



-1999: "Baby One More Time" was released, introducing the world to Britney Spears-for better or for worse.
-1999: Iconic movies like Fight Club, American Beauty, and The Sixth Sense were released. "Honey, I'm so proud of you. I watched you very closely, and you didn't screw up once!" Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening are brilliant in that movie.



-2000: Who could forget the downfall of Napster? Lars Ulrich from Metallica filed a lawsuit against Napster, stating that the company enables users to pirate copyrighted music. As we all know, this didn't stop plenty of other sites like Limewire, Kazaa, and Bearshare to appear. Naturally, though, they were all taken down as well.
-2000: Survivor premiered on CBS. While I never got into the show, it sure was quite a craze! Even catching a commerical of that show made me hungry and want to shower at the same time.



-2001: 30 Minute Meals debuts, introducing the world to Rachael Ray. I'm trying to remember if she bothered me as much back then as she does now...yep, she did.
-2001: It's hard to avoid the big event of this year: the terrorist attack on 9/11. I remember sitting in my honors econ class when the principal made an announcement about a plane hitting a building. It wasn't until someone turned on the news in my next class that we knew the severity. We watched the coverage nearly all day, some people crying over uncertainty of their friends and family in New York. I'm sure it's a day no one will forget.
-2002: Halle Berry became the first African American woman to win an Oscar for Best Leading Actress, for Monster's Ball.
-2002: Kelly Clarkson beats out Justin Guarini to win the inaugural season of American Idol.

You Might Also Like

0 comments